AMONG THE NEWSPAPERS
The Newspaper Advertisement Contest
Fifty-six entries were received in the newspaper
advertisemenit contest which closed on Dec. 31, 1910.
Mathew Esdale, of the Esdale Press, Ottawa; R. T.
McLean, of R. G. McLean's, Toronto; W G. C.olgate,
of the Gag?nier Advertising Ageny copy depart-
iment, Toronto; Geo. H. Saults, of Saults & Pollard,
Iminted, Winnipeg, and John Dixon, of the Dixon-
Riley Printing Co., Winnipeg, have been asked to
act as jury of awvard. Their decisions, with repro-
ductions of the eight leading entries, will be an-
nountedu in the February nuinber.
New Canadian Publications
A new paper, the Advocate, has been started ii
Tweed, Ont., the editor and proprietor being Zed
Thos. Nash, for many years an agriculturist, but
formerly a printer, haa established a newspaper in
Wroxeter, Ont., called the News.
Ottawa has a new class publication. The Ottawa
1Horticulturalist has been issued by the Ottawa Horti-
cultural Society as its official imionthly organ.
A. Lizotte is the editor of a new weekly paper,
Le Cri de L'Est, published at Matane, Quebee, th?
first issue appeared Decenmber 29th, 1910.
The firbt inumber of the Creston Valley Echo
was issued from Creston, B.C., on Decerlbber 8. Its
initial appearance wo as a four-page paper.
legina has another imorning newspaper, the
Sa,skatehewan Printing and Publishing Co. having
commencied the publication of tlie Province in the
interests of the Conservative party. Simultaneously
with the birth of the P'rovince, tlie Leader started an
evening editiont. Regina has, therefore, two morn-
ing and two eveniing newspapers.
Changes in Ownership
A. W. Ellis, of London, Ont., lias purchased the
lPetrolia, Ont., Advertiser.
Thos. E. Flynn has sold tlie Ayton (Ont.) Ad-
varce to William Loos, forlierly of Berlin, Ont.
Walpole Murdock has sold the Hartney, Man.
Star, to Miss A. F. Playfair. The transfer took
place tie last week in December.
Lester Small, who has been on the staf f of the
Strassburg, (Sask.) Jlountaineer for the past two
years has purchased the plant of the Balcanes
oSask.) News and changed the nanme to tie Revievw.
The Medicine Ilat News has been sold to the
Medicine Hatt News Co., Limited, conmposed of local
capitalists. A. J. N. Terrill, the former city editor,
succeeds F. G. Foster in the nmanagement of the
The Cayley (Alta.) Hlustler has been purchased
by the proprietor of the Staveley (Alta.) Standard,
who will in future edit both papers. A new print-
ing office will be built and equipped at Cayley and
the Hustler will be changed Lomn a four-page to an
Weston Wrigley, for six years editor of Hard-
ware and Metal, Toronto, has purchased a half inter-
est ini the CanadiaL Stove Journal, published by thie
Canadian Trade Press, Toronto. The name of this
publicationi has been changed to the Cantadian iard-
ware and Stove Journal.
The James Aeton Publishing Co., Limiited, have
purehased a half interest in the Dry Goods Record,
and commencing witli the Marcli nuiimber will be
publisled in Toronto instead of Morntreal. The
other half interest is held by George E. Fraser, who
retains his positioii of business lmaniager.
F. L. Carter-Cotton, M.L.A. for Riehmond, is
again in the newspaper business in British Columbia.
Somie months ago Mr. Carter-Cotton sold the Van-
couver News-Advertiser, and now lie has purehased
the Express, a semi-weekly, puiblislhed in North
E. W. Sherriff and J. H. Ilo(lgins purchased the
Picton, Ont., Gazette on January 1, 1911. The
former has been iiianiager of the Gazette Plblishing
Co. for the past two years and under thie new man-
agement will be business imanager of thlie Gazette:
Mr. Hodgins will be inanaging-editor a position
for which his forimer work as assistant city editor of
the Montreal Ilerald should well qualify hiri.
The Canadian Press Service
Tle news service of the Canadian Press, Limited,
is now ini active operation, the rmorniing newspapers
having beeri stupplied from the begunning of the
year and the evening newspapers frorm' January
Norinan MacCallunm, who formerly had charge
of the Associated Press work at Buffalo, has been
appointed New York representative of Canadian
Press, Linited, and will there edit the Associated
Press news before it is transmitted over the wires to
the Caaci?an distributing points.
Subscribers in the West will be supplied through
the Western Associated Press; C. 0. Knowles and
J. A. MeNeil, formnerly with the Telegramr and Mail
cna Empire, respeetively, are in charge at Toronto;
and E. F. Slack, formerly with tlie Gazette, will look
after the service for Quebec and the Maritime
An efficient CIanadian news service covering the
whole Dominion is being organized, special repre-
sentatives being appointed in all the principal cen-
tres. Anmong the appointmenits already made are:
St. John, N B., J. J. MeCafferty, of the Times;
Halifax, H. Weir, of the Mail; Quebec, the Tele-
graph staff; Montreal, E. H. Poole, of the Star;
Ottawa, T. D. Finn, of the Citizen; London, II. H.
I'ickett, of the Advertiser; Hamilton, James Mc-
Kenty, of the Times.
THIS MONTN'8 COVER.
The White Oak Embossed Cover with which our November,
1910, number Was clothed, evoked so many favorable eomments
that we deaided to use it again this month with the same color
combination. It is a cover ofeceeeptional merit, particularly
adopted for ecatalogue and booklets where a delicate, dignified
efftect is desired It lends itself to some eauttiful ecolor com-
1 I ...._............. ~ ~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~_ ..~~~~............ ----- - -------- ................ ...