In this way the south shore of the Bay was settled
from Maitland to Walton, or, as they called it, from
the Shubenacadie to the Petite.
But to return to Selmah, in 1803. General Small
was dead in the old country to which he had some
years before returned, and his executors sold his
Selmah estate to Colonel William Smith, of Douglas,
who conveyed it to three of his sons, Calel, Richard
and Nathan who all settled here. Shortly after this
date, their relative, Mr. John Sterling, located at the
lower part of the district, and from that time the
permanent settlement of Selmah begins. Fifty years
later, in June, 1853, the wl.iter came here, and the
purport of this paper is to give our younger friends,
whose memories go not very far backwards, a short
description of Selmah at that tinme, fotty years ago.
The part of the Selmali that was then comprised in
the school section firom Capt. Ellis' to Mr. David R.
Crow's east line. To give the names of the fanilies
and others, and the number of inhabitants, their
daily pursuits and manner of living, their religious
persuasions and educational condition-in a word, a
few of the many things that make up the daily life of
a community. The natural scenery of the district
then presented to the beholder much the same
beautiful appearance it does to-day.
The area of improved lands was of much less
extent than at present; the woods extended to the