Bay shores, erecting dykes, clearing the uplands, and
too often blamed for inciting their Indian allies to
plunder and murder tho English settlers.
The latter charge was alleged to have been the
chief cause of their expulsion in 1755.
As we have before stated, they were the first
settlers here. At the " French Field," near the head
of the marsh, forty years ago, could be plainly
seen the mounds that marked their dwelling places,
and a few years later a number of their farming
implements and a few household utensils were ttrned
out by the plough from the place where they had
been buried by their owners to hide them from their
After the French were gone, for a number of years
we have no records of any person living in Selmah.
In the year 1765, Mr. Salter, of Halifax, obtained
from the Crown a grant of 2,500 acres, extending on
the shore from near Mr. Alfred Ptutnam's shipyard to
Lower Selmah. All that has come down to us of his
ownership is the name of " Salter's Head," and our
worthy citizen and county councillor, Mr. Stairs, is
one of his descendants.
The Salter Grant, except 100 acres at th?e upper
side, passed by purchase about twenty years later to
General Small, who, at the close of the American
Revolution, settled the Kennetcook and Nine Mile
River districts with soldiers who had been disbanded